Saturday, January 9, 2010

Twitterpated

OK... So, I've just signed up for Twitter.

That's right. Me. On Twitter.

Those of you who know me personally are laughing hysterically, I know. Enjoy it while you can.

Those of you who don't know me are probably wondering if there's something wrong with my mind. I mean, other than the whole itchy brain thing. Well, here's the deal... referring to my condition as "not tech savvy" (my usual line) is a gross understatement. I'm a borderline technophobe who has been dragged kicking and screaming into the digital age. The term "Luddite" comes to mind.

I got my first cell phone one year ago. I started blogging three months ago. And I signed up for a Twitter account today after seeing one of my posts had been tweeted. I have never tweeted anything before - and some of the tweets I'm trying to read are in a language that resembles English, but in a shorthand I don't grasp yet. (I have teens who have tutored me in text-speak so they can communicate without talking, but we've not yet progressed to "tweets".)

So... If you've found your way here through Twitter, thanks for coming. Please check out the blog. And if you have any advice for learning the ropes at Twitter without feeling like a bigger jackass than I already do -- well, pass them along.

---------
UPDATE: OK... I think I get it now. It's a little like a Facebook wall, no?
Go ahead and laugh. Facebook had me flummoxed at first, also. I told you, I'm a technotard and a bit of a dork. But that's OK - I'm a self-aware, comfortable with myself kind of dork.

Now I just have to learn how to do those little url's for when I want to link. Yesterday I cheated and hit the "Add This" button for my own post. (Yeah, yeah... I told you, I know I'm a dork.)

1 comment:

Thats Right said...

Scratch, get tweetdeck (google it) It shortens your URL's for you. If you don't want another program, tinyurl.com will do it for you, but it's another step.

Real simply: @name will mention them in their timeline.

#word will show up in the # timeline for that word.

For example, #tcot means "top conservatives on twitter". So if you tweet something conservative politics related and have 5 characters left, put #tcot at the end of it.

Welcome to the Twitterverse. Keep it raw.