Monday, February 28, 2011

Decisions... Decisions...

OK... I'd appreciate some input, if anyone wants to fling some my way.

One of my offspring told me something interesting at the dinner table over the weekend.

Apparently, last week the teachers all showed up in red t-shirts. (Can ya guess where this is going?) When one of the students asked about the fashion statement, they answer the kids received is "We're wearing red to show support for the teachers in Wisconsin."

From what I gather, that was pretty much the end of the discussion.

Now I'm torn.

On the one hand, I'm pissed that the teachers would engage in a political statement at school. On the other hand, there doesn't seem to have been much preaching done, even when they were asked about it.

But why do it unless you expected to be asked? Why wear them at SCHOOL (My kids don't vote. Do yours?) instead of during off time around the community... say, grocery shopping after work? Who was the intended target of this message, if not the kids?

We don't necessarily have a consensus on the issue here at Casa de Scratch. One adult (can ya guess which?) would prefer to vocalize a little disapproval. One considers it over and basically harmless (since the kid in question didn't even know what's going on in Wisconsin until she told us about the t-shirts).

Since the ruckus in Wisconsin (and Ohio, and Indiana...) isn't over, I foresee more displays. I'm considering preemptive action. But... I freely admit, when my kids are directly involved I have no objectivity.

Decisions... decisions...

2 comments:

Chris Wysocki said...

If this happened in my town I would raise a ruckus in front of the school board.

Matt said...

Get a bunch of kids to wear Gadsden tees?

LOL, troma us captcha code.