Saturday, December 12, 2009

Natalie Portman Killing Zombies -- Is This A "Militant Vegan" Thing?

It's "Rule 5 Sunday" (Saturday night edition). Natalie Portman is in the news again, and this time it has nothing to do with veganism... Or does it?

She'll be starring in (and producing) "Pride and Prejudice and Zombies", playing the heroine who's looking for love and kicking zombie butt.

I admit it. I'm intrigued.


So why do I continually obsess about vegan activists think this has something to do with militant vegans? Where does this notion come from, this certainty that it all goes back to activism?

What do zombies eat?

BRRRRAAAAIIIIINNNNNSSSSS!!!!!!!!! BRAINS! BRAINS! OM NOM NOM!

That's right. Brains. Completely unacceptable to vegan sensitivities.

Recently, Ms. Portman decided to change her life. And she decided to educate us all about veganism and why we should join the cult consider what we eat. Nice of her to want to play teacher...
Anway, I've decided the zombie-killing thing is just an extension of animal activism. If you think it's wrong to snarf a bacon-doublecheeseburger, you gotta have a problem with tearing off someone's head to eat their brains, right?

I expect to see a lot of scenes with Natalie doing breathless battle with things that look like this:

But I'm curious... being a vegan and an animal rights person, would she have the intestinal fortitude to take on a zombie that looked like this?

OK... I'm totally kidding. (Mostly.) I just couldn't let a Natalie Portman story slide past without a couple of vegan jokes.
If you're interested (How can you not be?) the movie's based on the book "Pride and Prejudice and Zombies" by Seth Grahame-Smith. It was published in April 2009 by Quirk books, and made it to #3 on the NYT best-seller list. I have to admit, I'm as interested in the book as I am the movie, "described as an expanded version of the Austen classic, the book tells the timeless story of a woman’s quest for love and independence amid the outbreak of a deadly virus that turns the undead into vicious killers."
---------------
Thanks again to The Other McCain for the R5S link! Please check out the rest of my blog!

No comments: